For more legal information, visit the CLEO website and Steps to Justice

Change font size:


  • Increase
  • Decrease
  • Normal

Current Zoom: 100%

Where and when can a person make a claim?

A person can make a refugee claim at a port of entry to Canada. This could be a Canadian land border, airport, or seaport. A person can also apply from within Canada.

They should make their claim to a Canada Border Services Agency officer when they arrive at a port of entry. If they are already in Canada, they should go to a Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) (formerly Citizenship and Immigration Canada or CIC) office and make an inland claim.

Claimants have the right to make their claim in English or in French.

They should make their claim as soon as they can. This is important for a claimant’s credibility. The longer they wait, the harder it can be for them to prove that they are afraid to return to their country. And if there is already a removal order against them, it is too late to make a refugee claim.

Last updated: Mar 1, 2016


All taxonomy terms:

All taxonomy terms: Letters

All taxonomy terms: Forms

All taxonomy terms: Fees

All taxonomy terms: Timelines

All taxonomy terms: Inadmissibility

All taxonomy terms: Proof of identity

All taxonomy terms: Applying for OHIP

All taxonomy terms: Special hearings